Memories live on!

Missing Rakgadi Mma-Emma on her birthday
Today I am all smiles, it’s a cold Monday morning, the coldness that caught most of us Gautengers off guard, and I was just starting to enjoy the warmer days of June. Today would have been my Aunt's birthday, she would have been 82, she turned 80 the year of her passing and she kept saying turning 80 is not child's play; it is bonus years, how grateful she was.
 I probably would have phoned her first thing when I got to work but this is the second year since her passing and it still feels like yesterday. How time flies. I am glad I am all smiles, last year this time my heart was still heavy and burdened, the pain of her loss was still too deep and the ache in my heart was still painful. It hurt thinking of her but not today, today I think of all the great things she said to me. I just looked at one photo of her probably 5 years before her passing. There was an unobvious smile on her face, or maybe the wrinkles make it look not obvious. But there is a certain peace on her face, a peace that know that God is in control, that God loved her, he had been her provider, A lady that her husband left her to care for a 3 year old son and about 6yr old daughter but she didn’t complain about it, took it upon her shoulders, she took care of the children. Even in their adult life she still looked after them, as if she could not believe they had grown up so fast. I remember when her daughter passed away she stood and believed God knew why and she had not to worry, when doubtful minds tried to instil in her that maybe she was killed , maybe it was not an accident. She didn’t entertain them because it would not bring her daughter back but she could look up to God who would provide her the comfort she needed. She so gracefully called me Maina, and it was special. Sometimes I just long to hear her voice, sometimes I understand we don’t live forever and mostly I am grateful to have been impacted by such a calibre of a woman. I have learned a lot from her and I miss her dearly. Rakgadi Maina (Namesakes) Mma-Emma (as she was affectionately called by the Zone 9 Meadowlands neighbourhood) Maletsepe Magdeline Ramohlale. She lived and she made a mark in this life especially in mine. I would always treasure the memories in my heart.

Comments

  1. And today 2 years ago we buried her! Oh How I miss her! Her memory lives on in my heart

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment