Words that go to the heart and stay….

I have experienced the power of words, in my life and others around me. Words I received as they were spoken over my life and words I have spoken over people. Gordon MacDonald speaks of words that convert. Words that go to the heart and thrive there. He says to thrive meant that the words lingered and were not forgotten. It meant that they lodged in the heart and compelled attention and action. To thrive meant that the words became part of the things he wanted to communicate to people in his world. I have seen the effect of negative words spoken over me and others. Negative words also go to the heart and thrive. These are words that go to our hearts and make us scared and doubt the truth we know. Some of us can testify on dealing with words that affected what we believe or didn’t believe about ourselves. The reason being someone we trusted told us we didn’t matter, that we were dumb and stupid. Someone who told us we could not amount to anything. Their power is as strong as positive words over someone’s life. I know people who are still dealing with the effect of such words in their lives. At times we start telling ourselves the same words that have condemned us. We start believing them and living by them. I am forever challenged to listen more than I speak in that way; words I say are really helpful. By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach. Winston Churchill However I love the positive power of words, the words that go to one’s heart and built, create, rejuvenate and encourage. Recently my daughter said to me, she is sorry for shouting at me. The words went to my heart and thrived there. I was touched mostly because I didn’t remember her shouting at me (my measurement for shouting and hers are totally different). I was touched because my daughter has learned the power of asking for forgiveness, the humility to come back when you realise you are wrong. Her sorry went to my heart and stayed. I remember my aunt saying about me; “Gape Maina ke kgoshi”- loosely translated that I am a king, I am royalty. I was young but those words went to my heart and stayed. She spoke to a moment when I thought I was being ridiculed and teased for being called royal. They have helped build my identity, that I am royal, I am a princess. They still speak to me today. Today I remind myself to choose my words carefully. The scriptures remind me that death and life are in the power of the tongue (Proverbs 18:21). Paul reminds me not to let unwholesome talk come out of my mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen (Ephesians 4:29). I ask you today; to pause for a while and think of the words you have said today, what action do they compel in the hearts of those that receive them. What conversion do they help create? #notetoself #wordsthatgototheheartandstay #speakingwithwisdom

Comments